Coleman 11-Dan J-long

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 22:48:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2000 11:22:55 AM, Dan J. wrote:

<<"you must know that some people believe in that that they cannot
perceive">>
 Of a certainy this is true.... the example which comes to mind  at first
thought is a blind person who accepts the colors as others see them and
relate their own perception...but if the person relating the color is color
blind...what then? :-)
 Since a color blind person must rely on others to identify colors for them
they must take on belief/trust that the top light on a traffic signal is
'green' since they can only perceive that the top light is brighter than
those not lit.
(yes I know there are all kinds of 'degrees' of color blindness but the
example fits)
 Relating to music however nothing changes if a person is deaf and a hearing
person is describing a musical score's tones/expressions/emotive power to
them....the same thing happens, i.e., the hearing impaired has to rely on the
hearing persons perception of that music and thus will come to believe that a
certain piece of music is, 'exciting' or 'predictable' or pendantic' or
'mellow' depending on the perception of the person describing the effect of
the music.

  Very, very, generally speaking type A personalities and type B
personalities don't appreciate the same type of music in the same ways. One
could almost say that type As would be more inclined to want to know/hear
more about "alternative/HTs" temperaments than would type Bs.  No problem
there as their perceptions differ on just about everything else too :-) But
it doesn't change the music... Huh?  The music is the reality as the author
wrote it and not as we  perceive it....for example I believe it was Copeland
who responded to a glowing comment about a passage in Appalachin
Spring.......well yes it might sound like a babbling brook but I didn't
intend any thing at all with that passage except as a bridge to the next
bar.............   ahh! reality intrusion on perception :-)

<<"and for some there is a reality beyond perception.">>

 Absolutely!

<<" However I believe that you allude to the fact that we all have our own
experience including the aural sensation.">>

 Yes this is so and thank goodness for our differing perceptions/beliefs and
tastes.

To take it back to the original thread vis a vis Bachs WTC.................in
the number of responses you can readily see that there is not unanimous
agreement on what and how or even really why Bach wrote the WTC in: ET/near
ET/something else, etc.,etc.
   What can explain all of the differing beliefs here? Don't all the
responding persons have the same background information to work with?  They
can't 'all' be correct can they?  If they 'all' can't be correct then how do
they justify their belief other than how they have perceived the WTC in the
climate of the times?
 Do each just "want" to "believe" their "reality" is correct? and it 'is' for
them if not for others.......until some "ephphany", as Ed puts it, occurs
nothing will change their reality although we all know now that somebody has
to be, if not wrong, at least less correct :-)

 Dan, belief and perception are not the same thing tho they are closely
intwined.
Belief requires trust, perception requires observation...observation leads to
conclusion.... which in turn leads to belief and allows us to belive. Our
belief may be based on faulty perception/observation or conclusion but it
nonetheless will remain our belief,ergo 'reality', until something breaks the
bonds of the trust in our own conclusions.
   That is why I agree with ED when he says "try it for yourself"...for your
conclusion might be different than mine or ED's and most others.

<<"would like to know where I could get the Coleman 11 to try?">>

  Just search the archives from the Piano Page I believe it is in there.

<<"With some trepidation............Dan J /">>

Nah, not needful.............. we can't spell trepidation anyhow :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)
"only when we find out that we don't know and find the answer do we discover
how much we didn't know, and still don't"
Faintly Dull