Coleman 11

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:01:47 EDT

Dennis writes:
>Did Bach write it to show ET or to show how each piece could be written
>to sound in the current temperment?

Greetings,
   None of us were there, so we have to look at what was. There is no record
of ET being used in 1722,  just theoretical proposals for it.  However, there
is a large amount of writing that describes other tunings.
   After Bach's death, his son, CPE Bach was asked about his father's
preference and stated that the old man did NOT prefer equal temperament.
    Those are the historical indications, however,  I think a more compelling
argument for the use of a temperament along Werckmiester's rules can be found
by listening to the WTC on both an ET and then a well temperament.  This has,
in my experience, made very strong impressions on pianists that ET was
lacking something.
Try it yourself and make up your own mind!
Regards,
Ed Foote