Grand hammer tail shape.

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:09:37 +0200

I find that shaping hammers to match the arc of hammer travel works best.
Tapering is also benificial and is helpfull in reducing hammer weight if needed.
I do not like checkering, do not find it necessary in the slightest and
routinely smooth away all signs of checkering. I have seen polished tails check
superbly on many many occasions, tho I tend to leave about a 180 grit finish on
them.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.