Hammer Boring Jigs

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:57:48 -0700

Dear John,

	while I agree that the Renner jig is a superior product to the Brooks
jig I'd like to render a couple of opinions of my own concerning your
e-missive.
	Having bored atleast 150 sets of hammers on the Brooks jig I find it to
be as accurate as my set up on the drill press.  If I have my table level
and my cross vise properly aligned,  I have little trouble getting
accuracy atleast as good,  and usually better than the original factory
job I'm replacing.   It is made of multilaminate beech which is quite
sturdy and if mounted well and accompanied by a sharp drill bit,  doesn't
move a bit.  It has no flex problems and the wood is certainly as stable
a platform as is necessary in the multilam construction.  If I were
boring several sets a day,  I no doubt would find the Renner jig easier
to adjust to the various requirements of the different sets.  Otherwise,
for light use,  Wally's design certainly exceeds the toy category.  IOWs,
 it is sufficient for the average shop owner who can properly set up
machinery.

JMHO

Dale F

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:08:58 EDT Pianotek2000@AOL.COM writes:
> The PTG Journal did an excellent comparison of every available hammer
> boring
> jig a year or so ago.  The Renner USA jig was clearly superior in
> every
> respect.  It's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay
> for.  The
> Brooks jig, by comparison, is more in the toy category.  It's made
> out of
> wood which moves.  If you don't require close accuracy it's probably
> a decent
> value.
>
> There's an excellent close up picture of the Renner USA jig on their
> website.
>  Check it out.  Superb website also.
> John
> Pianotek
>
> In a message dated 4/14/00 3:13:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> carpthos@televiso.com writes:
>
> << Subj:     Re: Hammer Boring Jigs
>  Date:  4/14/00 3:13:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>  From:  carpthos@televiso.com (Thos. D. Carpenter)
>  Sender:    owner-pianotech@ptg.org
>  To:    pianotech@ptg.org
>
>  I use Renner`s........it`s fabulous.  All other`s seem to need a
> few
>  modifications to get them to work like you`d like.
>  Tom >>

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.