Coleman 11

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:50:11 -0500

>     As I said before,  becoming familiar with a second temperament will
>alter the way you hear ET, whether you ever go near that other temperament
>again.   The creation of a perspective by familiarizing oneself with another
>tuning is worth the effort in its own right, the ability to create new
>enthusiasm in ones clientele can be viewed as an extra.

Hi Ed,
All the above also applies to the techniques of modifying action function,
different hammer brands and voicing techniques, possibilities in scaling,
alternative soundboard construction and string terminations. Experiment in
any or all of these areas, and a good deal more, will forever alter the way
you hear and feel the piano. I guarantee it. Exploring any and all of them
will also enhance the techs' ability to create new enthusiasm in their
clientele, and each one of the categories is considerably more
revolutionary, being the result of recent advances in the technology, than
the resurrection of historical temperaments. That doesn't make them more or
less valid than the temperaments, it just puts them on the same list of
possibilities. After all, we can't know what people are going to like until
we have exposed them to all possible combinations of variants, can we?

>  Anyhow,  I think this particular thread is turning to lint,  If anybody got
>offended about me talking about pitying somebody,  I am sorry, I think the
>target got misidentified.
>
>Regards, .
>Ed Foote

Oh I don't know. I thought we were picking up a little clarifying
perspective along with the inevitable chaff. I, for one, wasn't exactly
offended. I just agreed with Jim and thought some of your comments were out
of context with the situation. In my opinion, altogether too many assumed
attitudes are being ascribed to the folks who aren't alternative
temperament enthusiasts, by those who are. I don't really much care either
way, but since Jim was speaking up in behalf of the misrepresented, it
seemed like a good place to insert another viewpoint from the same faction.

Just another day on a small blue planet.

Ron N