Coleman 11

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 21:49:39 -0500

Ed & List,

    And I'm even getting ready to "introduce" the jazz program here to
Meantone, re: what Mike Jorgensen posted recently. As soon as
things "calm down" (the end of the semester) I'm going to get one
of the jazz pianists and maybe the "head" of the program, to play
with it and see what develops.
    I used the Coleman 11 for a series of 3 Bach concerts with
only cello and harpsichord. The cellist was principal with the
New York Philharmonic for about 20 years before he came here,
and even he didn't complain about the temperament. He's retiring
after this year, so because of the generationhe grew up with, I
doubt he's had much exposure to HT's.
    I've heard nothing but good about the concerts. Of course, I've also
heard nothing specific about the temperament but in this case, I
believe no news is good news. :-) And the harpsichord teacher here
even asked me to put the same temperament on the practice room
instrument! He does his own tunings normally, but he likes this one
and I don't know yet how to instruct him to tune it strictly aurally.

>       "There will be schools that seek the avante-garde, (go Avery!), and
>there will be               others that run and hide from it.   The former
>are to be pursued, wooed,   encouraged and helped,  the latter are to be
>pitied" <snip>

    Interesting times. And isn't it nice to be able to discuss this subject
without rancor and all the rest of the "stuff" that's gone along with it in
the past? :-)

Avery (having fun experimenting!)