Polyester repair problems

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:06:55 -0600

First:  For those of you that aren't into doing repairs to poly - go
ahead and use the delete button if you so wish.
Second:  For those of you that DO polyester repair (as do I), I have been
having problems as follows and hope that one or more of you may be able
to tell me what can be done to improve the color match.
Piano:  Wurlitzer "Grand" - Model C-153 finished in high polish ivory
polyester.
Damage:  A couple of dents and gashes in various locations

I contacted Baldwin to get their repair poly for this particular color -
which, they were very glad to send to me.  btw  the poly came in a metal
can rather than the more common plastic or glass bottles - something that
I view as a good thing as UV can cause poly to catalize - and - with the
metal can there was no way for UV to reach the poly.

I prepared the damaged area as per Baldwin's instructions ( modified as
per the instructions that Konig sent with their kit).  Making a long
story quite short , I then sanded and buffed out the area(s) that I had
previously filled with the provided poly which had been carefully mixed
using the designated poly/hardener proportions.
PROBLEM:  The repair poly doesn't seem to have enough opacity (color
density) to completely prevent the underlying dark primer from showing
through.  Of course, where the original poly had been applied more
thinly, the problem shows even more.  I realize that "ivory" is a mix of
mostly white with a little "yellow" added - AND that yellow is terrible
when it comes to its ability to hide underlying colors - especially very
dark ones such as the dark grey primer.
I'm not happy with the repair, but I don't know what to do about it.  Any
suggestions - or is the dealer just stuck with the piano as it currently
is??  (   You DO have to know that the problems are there to readily see
them, but I am used to doing poly repairs and working with them until
they are completely invisible).
Thanks in advance,
John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.