Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 02:23:11 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert A. Anderson" <fndango@azstarnet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

> John Ross wrote:
>
> "Hi Ed,
> I have a question. Is there a table or some reference, that says which
> HT,
> sounds best
> with which composer?
> How does a person determine which piece of music, sound best in a
> particular
> HT?
> Thank you.
> John M. Ross"

> John, I think you will get farther ahead by trying out some not-ET
> temperaments to find out what they sound like in musical contexts, than
> you will by getting someone to tell you which one you should use.
> There's no consensus that will help you hear what you need to hear to
> make that decision for yourself and whoever will be using the instrument
> you tune. Well, that may not help you at all, but I certainly feel
> better.

What I mean, is.  If someone asked, about HT, and wanted something that
say Mozart, sounded good with. I would want to offer the HT, that would
have the best chance of suceeding. It is not my opinion I want, it is
something
to please them.
If, I make the wrong choice, then they are, gone.
Not being a piano player, I can't try them myself, ahead of time.