Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

Robert A. Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:53:26 -0700

John Ross wrote:

"Hi Ed,
I have a question. Is there a table or some reference, that says which
HT,
sounds best
with which composer?
How does a person determine which piece of music, sound best in a
particular
HT?
Thank you.
John M. Ross"

I think that's a good question, but I think that there's a better way of
going about it than looking for someone else's notion of what
temperament should be used in which situation. Everyone who's interested
should simply start trying them out, listening, and letting others
listen. It's a little scary because we have been living with ET and have
not known anything else. We don't know how people will react to
something different, so we tend to play it very conservatively. I've
read comments on this list like "Customers expect us to tune ET,
therefore it is unethical to tune anything else." Well, in my experience
it is a rare customer who has any idea what ET is. Yes, there are
exceptions to any generalization. There are also a few customers who
find fault with notes in my ET tunings, but in 99+ per cent of those
cases, the customer will complain about the pitch of a single note,
without reference to any other note. It wouldn't matter what tuning I
used because the customer would never play an interval while evaluating
the tuning.

We have curious notions about what "in tune" means. We want beatless
unisons and beatless octaves and multiple octaves. But we want rapidly
beating 3rds and 6ths. Why is this so? Why do we want to arrange our
3rds, for instance, so that they gradually speed up as the pitch rises?
The only reason I can tell is so that all keys sound the same. But why
should all keys sound the same? So that there is no obstacle to
modulation? Why can't you modulate if the keys have different textures?
The only answer I can give is: "That's what we were taught." Does a 7BPS
F3-A3 sound better than a just F3-A3? I don't think so. I think it's
arbitrary.

Let me apologize now for heading off to left field with this topic. I
probably won't get suddenly set off again for a couple of years, so
don't worry.

I am reminded of something I read years ago. Max Planck, the physicist,
wrote, in his "Scientific Autobiograpy", that at one point he learned
that scientists were not swayed by the truth of new theories, but that
those new theories became accepted because a new generation of
scientists emerged who grew up with those theories and therefore
embraced them.

I think he could have been talking about piano technicians as well. My
point (if I have one) is that we should not close our minds to
listening.

John, I think you will get farther ahead by trying out some not-ET
temperaments to find out what they sound like in musical contexts, than
you will by getting someone to tell you which one you should use.
There's no consensus that will help you hear what you need to hear to
make that decision for yourself and whoever will be using the instrument
you tune. Well, that may not help you at all, but I certainly feel
better.

Take it, Ed.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ