Bird calls/what does this have to do with anything?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:58:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/2000 11:24:35 PM, Ron N. wrote:

<<"So what do you suppose the criteria was
for different manufacturers to decide how high up the scale to extend the
dampers?">>

Ron;
 Easy question actually. It is a distal approximation delved from the African
Hooded Raven...you know the big black birds that shade the water by spreading
their wings over their head so they can better see the fish they hunt?  The
distal approximation part comes the length of wing span which exceeds the
birds beak tip combined with total wing length from root to tip.
 Manufactureers used this proportion/ratio to determine where to stop the
dampers based on the theory, as far as the birds are concerned, that anything
past their beak...(or damper stop point) is interesting but essentially
useless...therefore they might as well let it do what it wants to do and not
waste time and energy fooling with it.
 Unfortunately there are several sub-species of these Ravens and each have a
different beak-to-wingtip ratio.....obviously different manufacturers used
different sub-species of Ravens and consequently we have as many different
stop points for dampers as there were sub-species used.
 Although this, i.e Distal Raven formulae, is a rather well known fact in the
circles of the intelligentsia of our craft I'm not quite sure just how the
rabbits come into play............Hmmm.
Jim Bryant (FL)