Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone-thanks to all

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:58:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/00 7:20:05 PM Central Daylight Time, richardb@c2i.net
(Richard Brekne) writes:

<< You wanta respond to all this by staying home, and loosing a fine
opportunity to
 share what you have learned with many interested parties at the convention,
well
 hey.. I cant stop you. But like I say.. I think its a bad move. And I think
you
 do yourself a diservice in the same pass.

Richard,

I thank you so much and I must admit that both public and private mail say
very strongly that there is genuine interest in the EBVT.  There is also a CD
in the works but I don't know if it will be a reality by July.  At the time I
made the decision, I also had another offer to be both a concert tuner and
vocalist at a 3 day event during the same time period.  My disappointment
with PTG contacts made my decision easier to go with the music, the way I
like it to be and among people who do genuinely like what I do and know about
what it is too.

Since I have already canceled my plans at the Convention, I am not sure the
opportunity is still there.  There is perhaps a possibility that I could get
the music event moved ahead or later by one week.  There has been no
publicity sent out on that yet.  It would also help a lot if I could find a
venue for live music on a piano tuned in the EBVT at the Convention.  Even a
piano bar would be OK.  I have done that before (and also got the usual flack
for it too).

Nobody ever noticed that the piano in such a circumstance was anyhow
different.  They only noticed that it was tuned well and that the music
sounded good.  Most expressed interest when told that it was something
different but some felt they had been deceived or were the "guinea pigs" in
an "experiment" and were angry about that.  That was the case with the 1/7
Comma Meantone.  I wanted to inform people but Kent Webb chose not to do so.

I think one of Ed Foote's tunings also should be heard elsewhere in the
context that only ET has usually been heard in before.  Hearing real music as
it is usually played by real musicians in the usual kinds of settings is the
way to convince people that other tuning standards do have merit and possibly
greater appeal.  At the very least, this can normalize people's feelings
about the subject and do a lot towards ending some of the unfounded beliefs
and irrational fears that many people have.

What Les said about not being able to recognize the difference until a
comparison was made is a very typical experience.  What Owen Jorgensen
observed is very true and for a good reason.  Most pianists work most of the
time with a piano which is at least somewhat out of tune.  Only the highest
caliber professionals get their pianos tuned every day.  All others learn to
accept imperfection.  Therefore, there may be a very wide range of
possibilities that the general public may accept.  After all, the public
often accepts Reverse Well as I have so often pointed out, surely it can
accept a deliberately crafted temperament and tuning which is something other
than ET.

The fact that even among piano technicians, many can't really tell the
difference between one temperament or another in a normal musical context
demonstrates that there is room for manipulation of the temperament to pursue
goals of clarity and color in tuning.  That is what the EBVT is all about:
Color and clarity from a tuning that pleases everyone and offends no one,
even the most critical of artists and piano technicians.  Of course, 100%
success is not exactly expected but in my own personal experience, my
customers have had far greater satisfaction with my EBVT tunings than with
the best ET tunings I could do.

Another thing Les said about having to tune mostly common pianos should be
addressed.  Steve Fairchild invented his temperament which turned out to be
the very same as the widely used Vallotti Temperament for that express
purpose.  He reasoned that people who played these kind of pianos used the
simpler keys more than the remote.  He therefore tuned them to sound sweeter
and people liked them better.

The customer does not have to understand every detail of what is done.  If
the customer likes better the way the piano sounds tuned in a different
temperament from ET, that is all that matters.  The allegation that to tune
another temperament without disclosing that fact and without approval, etc.,
is unethical has never come to a venue of judgment to my knowledge and never
will in my opinion.  If the customer does not like the tuning, the technician
will not tune that piano again.  It is as simple as that.

Those who allege unethical practices, conduct or violation of common law are
merely voicing an opinion based upon the many myths that surround the use of
ET.  As commonly held as many of those beliefs are, they are baseless and
groundless.  That kind of thinking is now obsolete.

I am glad Michael has done the recent work he has done and also that he has
seen that modern music can often be played in what he has called "Meantone".
I presume he means 1/4 Comma Meantone.  This has been a point I have tried to
make.  There are Meantone Temperaments all the way from 1/3 to 1/11, each
having a different sound and characteristics.  It would be a good idea to
always identify which Meantone temperament is being written about.  I have
also noted that Jazz can be played in virtually any of the Meantones
(although I don't really think it would work very well in 1/3).  The wolf key
always provides a highly energized sound that many pianists like to work with
rather than avoid.

I was also glad to hear encouragement from Avery Todd and what he did with
Kirnberger and Chopin.  I would have to say that this was uncharacteristic of
Owen Jorgensen to recommend a temperament that was seemingly not of the
proper period.  When he was a professor, he had to always bear traditional
practice in mind.  He would not make such recommendations even if he
personally felt they might make very appealing results because they would go
against known historical precedents.

He did, however observe in Madison many years ago that an 18th Century
Modified Meantone Temperament was being used as a substitute for a
Well-Tempered Tuning and he praised the technician who made the discovery
that this temperament worked so well with so many kinds of music, even 20th
Century music.  That was where the EBVT got its roots, at that seminar.

Avery, if you think Chopin sounded good in Kirnberger, try 1/7 Comma
Meantone, the 1/7 Comma Meantone with 1 pure 5th discovered by Tim Farley, or
the 1/8 Comma Meantone.  You have never heard a more powerful and Romantic
sounding key of Ab for all 19th Century music written in that key.  And Jazz,
it will never be jazzier.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin