One Piece Ivory

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:57:48 -0500

John
A local dealer carrying Bosendorfer had a grand with several cracked ivories
and the factory sent one piece blanks to replace the one piece originals.

Paul Chick
----- Original Message -----
From: John Lillico, RPT <staytuned@idirect.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2000 12:33 AM
Subject: One Piece Ivory

> Was there ever such a covering as one piece ivory? I've always seen ivory
as a "head" and a "tail" with a (usually) visible crack. I've always used
this crack to distinguish between ivory and plastic.

> Today, a 75 year old lady tells me her chipped keys on a 1934 Sherlock
Manning are ivory! I say they are plastic because there's no separation
between head and tail. She says her parents bought the piano when she was
nine and, except for a time when she ran away from home at 19 to get
married, says that the keys have NEVER been recovered in plastic.

> Sixty per cent of the overhangs are chipped and she thinks they can be
repaired like teeth. How can I convince her that these tops are plastic? Or
are they?