A440 HA!

Kim Stubblefield/James Lithgow loshco@mars.ark.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:59:17 -0700

dear list,
i have resisted entering the various debates on this list because of the
sheer volume of postings and the time it takes out of my work day...but...
a purchaser of a Yam C2...brand spanking new...handed me three tuning forks
as I came to do the service bond and asked that I tune to what she called
the Twelve True-Fifths Tone tuning. WHA?
C4 at 256 HZ
A4 at 432 HZ
F# at 362.02 HZ
the instruction was to NEVER TUNE BY OCTAVES (caps are hers) tune only in
pure fifths from each fork and do not adjust the fourths between black and
white keys to fit which she called formed fourths. I really have no idea if
I got it right or not. the only ET this piano has had was from the factory
across the pacific ocean. i have given it two of these tunings and will be
headed back for a third in a month or so.
the tuning was developed in the 1960's by rudolph stiener...he was the
waldorf school system guy and appearantly the A432 puts us closer to the
pythagorean cosmic ideal. it sounds sort of okay in the mid-range but gets
progressively wierder at the extremes.
anybody any thoughts?
james lithgow.