Jests

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:05:07 -0400

Mr. Leifsson (just to make sure you know *I* know which gender I'm talking
to)<G>:

To answer your question, I don't think so.  I think it's more that in written
communication we do not have the benefit of facial expression and vocal
inflections.  It is much easier to misunderstand each other.

I once heard a preacher illustrate this with the simple sentence "I love you."
Each time he said it, he put the emphasis on a different word or used a
different vocal inflection and was able to make the sentence mean at least five
different things.  I was, and still am, fascinated by that.  I'll be glad to
illustrate for anyone at the international convention in Arlington, since I
obviously can't do it here, but try it yourself and you'll get the idea.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger