Bass string makers

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:44:35 -0100

Hi,

Dave, this is what I mentioned as not a very serious problem with NEPS.
I design scales metrically, and let my program convert to 1/16" (Scale
Designer, for Atari, or Excel).

I like the sound of old Chickering bass scales, and haven't yet heard
any dead Silver plated iron strings. I would be sorry to replace them
with Copper (or their unplated antique relatives), in this case the
_quality_ of Copper would be inappropriate.

The differences in density between Cu, Fe and Al would affect what size
wrap could be used for a given string - rescaling might make nice use of
all three. Labella sells viol sets mixing Silver and Aluminum wraps, and
it is not uncommon to see Copper singles and Iron bichords in old
upright pianos (given, probably which are scaled poorly).

A stretch, I know, but is anyone familiar with the Klavins 370B upright?
It must have an interesting scale!

Cheers,

Clark