Bass string makers

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 21:31:27 -0500

> We've been getting strings from New England Piano String in Medford, MA.
> Sal Augustino has no problem working from rescaling data. >
> I'd like to use a winder with iron and aluminum wraps available - does
> anyone know of any? Silver-plated iron would rule.
>

> Clark

I am wondering why iron wraped is not done any more.    I heard copper was
used because it looked nicer in the show room, that sales were made because
the look of copper bass strings was more impressive than iron wrapped.    I
like the old iron strings because they seem to come back better when rolled
or simply dropped.
Re aluminum, Everett used aluminum wrapped strings on two notes in the tenor
section.   Interesting concept, I think only one other maker if any tried
that.   I wouldn't be surprised if Sal knows something about that.   ---ric