Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 15:36:18 EDT

Dear List,

I had the pleasure of attending yet another evening of piano music last night
that disproved once again some of the notions many people have and that have
been written about right here on this List.  Timothy Farley RPT hosted the
French pianist, Désiré N'Kaoua who played an evening of Romantic music on a
Steinway D.

The program featured Bach-Busoni, Beethoven, Chopin, Fauré and Ravel.  The
piano was tuned in the 1/7 Comma Meantone Temperament.  I have seen and heard
it suggested that all of the above would *require* Equal Temperament (ET)
and/or that a program with this range could *only* be accommodated by ET.

Of particular note was the rendition of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique, the
very same one which was performed in the very same temperament at the
Convention in Albuquerque in 1995.  On this List it was called inappropriate,
bad, too much dissonance, etc.  It is amazing to me how the very same piece
could be played the same way but in a different environment with no such
reaction, just acceptance and long, sustained applause.

The technician who hosted this even *never* tunes a piano in ET and neither
do I.  Neither of us plan on tuning any pianos in ET at any time in the
future.  Why should we do what everybody else does just for the sake of being
like everyone else?  There are so many possibilities to discover and enjoy.
Why would anyone want to do the same thing everybody else does?  The only
Standard that exists is for the pitch of A4 and nothing else.  Every other
note of the piano is fair game for and interpretation that will bring
excitement, pleasure and interest back to music.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin