ball fitting for tuning hammer

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 12:16:00 -0500

Very interesting discussion on tuning levers. I have to agree with Joe on
the criteria for making the ideal hammer (if such a thing exists). I've
been making tuning hammers for about four years now, sort of a hobby gone
bezerk. I just made my eleventh hammer trying to incorporate a lot of the
discussion from this list. It's 12 inches long with a shorter, and
therefore lighter, handle made of cocobolo. The ball at the end is
smaller and flattened out slightly. I just applied the last coat of tung
oil yesterday so I'm anxious to try it out.

However the point I would like to make is that there just might not be a
hammer design to fit every piano; that' s why I keep two or three around
in my kit. I do think comfort is important (that 2" ball is very
uncomfortable in my hand). I also feel that leverage is an important
factor and that depends a lot on one's strength and skill and , of
course, the individual piano.

Having made so many levers, I guess I have to say I've learned very
little in the scheme of things except that I have a need to do a lot of
switch-hitting. I don't think any lever can make up for not  learning
good technique.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Charles Faulk RPT

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 08:08:34 -0800 "Joe & Penny Goss"
<imatunr@primenet.com> writes:
> Clyde,
> I feel that it is very important to consider the size of the hand,
> height
> weight and strength of the person using the tool. A person who is
> tall will
> feel more comfortable with a longer shaft while a shorter shank
> would be
> better for those who chose to sit and tune.
> The ball does not work for everyone.
> My choice is a door knob shape but have made a T shape for one tech.
> It all depends on the shape of the hand and what feels good.
> The biggest reason that I like the wand style is that it weighs a
> lot less
> but has the same torque potential as the long extension hammer. (I
> use a
> long shaft)
> Being over 6 feet tall, with many back ailments, I stand only to
> tune tall
> uprights. the ball shape is great when needing to set the pin with
> the
> hammer at one o'clock I bump the bottom of the ball sometimes to set
> the
> pin.
> Joe Goss
> Mother Goose Music