Ball Fitting for Tuning Hammer

Dan Hallett Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 09:56:18 -0400

> Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 06:37:40 -0400
> From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
> Subject: Re: ball fitting for tuning hammer
>
> Terry and list,
>
> What one person finds a tremendous improvement, another may find a step
> backward.
>
> Recently someone gave me a Wonderwand to try.  It has a 2"
> diameter ball on the
> end.  After about 20 minutes of use I strongly disliked it; my
> hand hurt.  Does
> it make a difference that I tune lefthanded?  Should I give it
> more time?  If
> the ball is right for everyone, why are most tuning levers in the supplier
> catalogues still of the standard configuration?  In the most recent Schaff
> catalog, there are no ball-type levers available at all.
>
> It would be interesting to know how many on this list have
> switched to "the
> ball."
>
> I am also interested in the custom-made levers by Keith Bowman.
> I attended his
> class on tuning levers a year or two ago, and I was quite
> impressed with his
> input.  Has anyone on this list bought one?  Since they are very
> expensive, I
> don't want to order one if I end up not using it anyway.
> Basically I'm happy
> with what I have now, but I'm willing to consider other options.
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT

Clyde:

I have both the Wonderwand and the Bowman Tuning lever. My hand fatigues
quickly with the Wonderwand.  I took time to find the Bowman tuning lever
that fit my hand and have used it exclusively for the past two years -
uprights and grands. should one of his ready-made hammers not be suitable, I
believe he will custom make one to fit your hand.

Dan Hallett