Re clarifing changing Steinway specs

Robin Stevens pianotun@globalfreeway.com.au
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:40:18 +0930

Hi List
Thanks for your replies,
I respect your opinions so I am batting up for another serve, here we go!
I think this type of debate amongst tuners can only lead to better
understanding and report in our trade.
I should have stated in my post that the query came from a Australian Piano
Tuner.
In Australia we only receive Steinways from Hamburg which the German
Steinway Techs who visit this country are of a opinion they are of a higher
standard than the American counterparts (The Steinway tech said it, not me)
I was fortunate to attend with 2 other tuners a workshop of a week duration
with the Hamburg Steinway Senior technician in 1997
Steinway regulations and adjustments are SET IN CONCRETE in the eyes of
these techs.
and if followed to the enth degree will produce a extremely easy to play
Piano.and any deviation from these specs will only upset the overall balance
of the action.(wear and tear taken into account)
If the Aussie Tuner checks all the regulation settings he will probably find
adjustments to be made in the  repetition spring strength or the let off
drop adjustment....tight centre pins etc.
I would say that as the Steinway B only has a Key weight of 46-51 grams the
piano player in question has only just changed to this piano after spending
a lot of time on a piano with a heavier key weight.
My main point was that it is very easy to be bullied around by the
"Boss who pays".... and after 40 years in this trade I find that if I listen
very
carefully to the customers complaint and, if it is a valid fault I will do
my upmost to correct the problem but if in MY OPINION there is nothing wrong
they are told politely.
In my younger days these (wish they weres) drove me mad chasing funny
sounds.. strange notes etc.
I believe that if you are completely happy with you prognosis then stick to
your guns and not be intimidated.
The Steinway B Model here in Australia sells for around Aus $115,000 and is
far from a mass produced product which needs ..."tuning up to the drivers
needs"... even after 10 years (slight voicing modifications accepted)
My Summary of this problem would be to get back to the original
specifications EXACTLY and do not try and reinvent the wheel.
I have owned a 1936 Model B for the last 10 years and it is a joy to play at
the end of a hard days work tuning the average (rubbish) piano out in the
real world.
Hope I have not stirred the pot too much.
Best regards
Robin Stevens (Drinks strong coffee Aussie)