Shallow repetition

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 21:31:43 -0700

G'Day  Jarred,
	several things come to mind.  Set the backchecking as close as possible.
 If you can't get to at least as close as 1/2" you may consider looking
at the sweep of the hammer tails.  Also,  many times the drop is
excessive which eats up repetition time.  Drop should not be more than 1
or 2mm.  Any more than that slows rep and decreases control of pianissimo
playing.  Excessive drop usually indicates excessive aftertouch as well.
All these regualtion steps build on one another.  Little errors
accumalate.  Not knowing your particular experience with regulation,
I'll assume that you understood why these things should be checked.  If
not,  the list is always here to inquire from.

Dale Fox

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:37:25 +1000 "Jarred  Finnigan"
<jfinnigan@optusnet.com.au> writes:
> G'day list (A bit of Aussie culture)
> I have a client with a ten year old Steinway "B" and I am having
> trouble satisfying his desire for faster repetition or more
> specifically shallow repetition, by which I mean the ability to
> repeat the note while only lifting the key minimally.  The action is
> regulated pretty much to factory specifications with the exception
> of the repetition springs which are a little on the strong side
> (owners request).  Any pearls of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jarred Finnigan
> jfinnigan@optusnet.com.au

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.