Piano Tilter Design Features

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 17:45:05 -0500

>>.  One of the items I could really use
>> is a decent shop tilter
>> Tom Robinson
>
>I made mine out of wood.  The actual "tilter" portion is ply wood cut to a
>24 inch radius
>This will give a tilted piano 24 inches from the ground.   If you need it
>higher, make it a 28 inch radius.  However at this diminsion you are close
>to the balance point of a 48 inch upright (ummm 28 and 28 is 56, get the
>picture?) (they are a little top heavy) and the console won't balance.  To
>counter this
>you could devise a prop.

So why does it have to be a radius? Why not use an ellipse and put the
balance point where you want it? It doesn't have to be perfect, you can
freehand a decent enough curve to work just fine. Just be aware that the
closer to the bottom of the piano the balance point is for a given working
height, The more oomph it will take to get it down, and back up again.
FWIW

Ron N