Pedal function Was: Re: Pitch at breaking points

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:22:30 -0500

At 22:52 04/04/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Not only that, but encyclopedias are frequently incorrect.  As an
>example, if you have Encarta 2000, try looking under piano and check out
>what they say the functions of the pedals are on a grand piano.  (Maybe I
>have been wrong all these years about this - NOT)
>
>John R. Fortiner

I am (un)fortunate not to have that font of (dis)information. Inquiring
minds want to know. Pedal functions sounds like something I should know
sometime.

Here are some things I've seen reference to:

	Functions for pedals on Pianoforte.

Forte/Damper/Loud
Mechanism for raising dampers
-originally a hand stop
-function of first pedal used by Broadwood
-w/split pedals allowed either half or all to be lifted

Bass Damper
Raises dampers of overstrung section only

Piano/Pianozug/Practice/Celeste/Moderator/Mute/jeu celeste
Places strip of cloth or leather between hammer and string

Pianissimo
Tapered strip of felt allowed diminuendi - 1800 Hawkins

Una corda/Verscheibung/Shift
Literally "one string"
Action shifted so hammers strike 1, 2 or 3 strings

Harp/Pizzicato
Strip of leather moved against side of string while hammer moves to strike
only that string.
-imitative of harpsichord "buff" stop

Buff/jeu de luth
Strip of leather moved against one string of unison
-possibly used as tuning aid in treble
-imitative of harpsichord "buff" stop

Sordin/Mute/Sourdine
Piece of wood lined with soft leather, hair of silk shag placed on string
close to bridge
-if leather lined:   Lautenzug   Lute stop
-if shag lined:      Harfenzug   Harp stop

Harpsichord/Cembalo
Bone or ivory tipped leather tabs moved in between hammers and strings to
produce a tinkling sound
-"Rinky-Tink" attachment is modern equivalent.

Swell
"Nag's Head" - lifted entire lid with stick
"Venetian" - shutters opened progressively

Harmonic/Harmonique
A second set of hammers or a bar which touched strings at midpoint to
produce "echo" effect - Petzold Paris) 1829

Harmonic Swell
Piano had a double bridge system which had a separate set of dampers
between them which could be raised o allow sympathetic vibration of strings
between the bridges. - Patent Collard 1821

Dolce Compana
Weights applied pressure to soundboard at eight places, pitch was thus
lowered and rapid pedaling could produce a sort of tremolo. Patent 1849,
James A. Grey
Mfg. by Boardman & Grey (Albany, NY) - Picture p. 247 Gill

Cymbals
Two or three strips of thin brass made to strike bass strings.

Bassoon/Fagotzug
Roll of parchment or stiff paper placed against strings of bottom octaves.

Octave couplers
Generally only added the octave above. - one early eighteenth century
French piano could add the octave above in the treble and the octave below
in the bass.

Sostenudo
Selective damper pedal
-hold only the dampers of keys depressed when pedal is pressed.

Soft/Half-blow/Hammer move/Pedale d'expression
Moves hammers closer to the strings to reduce the force of the blow.

Piano scandé
Like above, but could move one octave at a time, several or together.

Drum
Played small drum inside of case, or struck soundboard with padded hammer.
-Some had a set of tuned drums which could be played from the keys.

Bells
Played set of bells inside of case.

Janissary/Turkish music
Combination stop played bells, drum and cymbal simultaneously.

Janissary
Loesser describes a pyramid piano which had figures on either side holding
bells and cymbals. This pedal combined the janissary stop with movement or
the figures.
-Hirt identifies maker as Johann Kaspar Schlimbach of Königshofen (Wurzburg)

Genouillère
Any stop operated by knee.

Transposer
Shifted action up or down as much as minor third.
-Érard (Paris) and Wooley (Nottingham) moved strings and frame.
-Edward Ryley moved keys.
-Æolian moved action.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Luther College, Decorah, IA

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.