piano purchase

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:49:29 EDT

In a message dated 4/02/2000 6:53:04 PM, James wrote:

<<"Therefore my choices are a Yamaha
 C-3, Kawai RX-3 or Steinway Model M.
 Pricing aside, what are your feelings on these models.
 When you take price into consideration, is the Steinway
 worth the extra money? Or, would I enjoy the others
 just as much?">>

James;
 Since your original question was on these three instruments I will confine
my remarks to these three only. I would tend to list my personal choice in
the following manner: Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai............ this when
considering power/projection only. In all other considerations it is a toss
up.........If my supposition is correct then the question is one of whether
the power/projection is needful in your particular circumstances. There are
definite differences in feel of action, tone quality, general appearance,
etc.,etc., and these really come down to personal preference.
 As for whether the S&S is "worth" the price..yes definitely it 'can' be,
unfortunately this is not always the case.  The best advice, in my opinion,
you have already received from Ed Tomlinson, i.e., "Go play them all and
consider the price, and buy the one you like the most.  All of them will
serve you and generations to come......Ed Tomlinson"

  I can only add to what Ed said by saying that the selection should be made
on the 'exact' piano to be purchased and not on one "just like it". Price
should not be 'the' major consideration as a few thousand dollars amortized
over the life of the piano doesn't end up being nearly as expensive as
spending thirty years saying "I wish I had bought the
.................because I really liked it best!"
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)