Plating piano parts

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 07:14:04 -0400

With out any of us seeing how this particular shop operated it may have =
been a good thing they were forced out of business.  I'm not saying this =
with any ill regard to anyone trying to make a living for themselves.  =
Lord knows we're all self employeed  (or most of us) and understand how =
much time and effort goes into running a business let alone keeping it =
an ongoing concern.

Perhaps this plating shop continually skirted EPA laws which help to =
protect you,  I, and our environment and more importantly any employees =
(or owners) directly in contact with some very nasty chemicals.   Yes, I =
totally agree that some of these environmental and safety standards that =
have to be met for shops like this are costly and a pain in the butt for =
the business owner.  But I really think not having at least some =
standards in place is far more expensive to everyone then having =
noncompliers forced out of business.

Once again, I don't know the particulars of the shop that was "forced" =
out of business and the above statements may not apply to that shop.  It =
is truelly sad that lively hoods are lost in this process, but the fact =
is there are other shops that remain open.  Draw your own conclusions, =
just like I'm doing :) =20

Frank mentioned that Acme charged a very fair price, perhaps they =
weren't willing to spend the money to comply with EPA and OHSA standards =
to stay in business, thus keeping their costs down and price to the =
customer down.  This is a big decision for any business owner.  Spend =
the bucks (which usually means loan time) or close the doors.  Other =
shops have complied and remain in business.

Doug Mahard
  ----- Original Message -----=20