Youg Chang

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:30:05 -0700

Roy:
    We have been selling Y.C's for about 2 years.  The Chinese factory
is now making the lower lines of Y.C.  I believe they are going to
change the name on them, but all the ones we have say Young Chang on
them.  We also sell the Pramberger models, which are WAY better.  The
Chinese models are not crafted so well, but aren't as bad as many others
I 've seen coming from there.  Give them about 10 years, and I'll bet
they are going to be as good as the Koreans.  Assuming they don't blow
us up, or we them, in the meantime.
    My experience with the Chinese models is that the bass strings are
not well made, and many don't match in the bichords. Some strings are
dead on arrival.
    Some felts on the heel of the whippens come unglued, in the vertical
pianos.  Pinblock fit in the grands is very sloppy.  The agraffes in the
bass aren't lined up properly, and the hammer shanks are forced to fan
out to allow the hammers a chance to hit the strings.  The list goes
on.  They are cheap, and there's a good market for these things which
look and almost sound like grands.
    I have seen some good examples of these Chinese pianos.  Maybe we
just got a bad lot.
    My take, FWIW.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego