One piece rim construction

MsPiano4@AOL.COM MsPiano4@AOL.COM
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:07:35 EDT

I'm new to the pianotech web page and I'm very excited about this forum for
sharing knowledge and experience. My subject line is in reference to the
manufacturing practices grand pianos.  If I understand correctly most grands
are manufactured with a two piece rim contraction.  The piano plate is
positioned on the inner rim, the belly work has already been done, and the
piano is strung at this point.  The outer rim is applied in the next step?
One piece construction are the inner and outer rim are formed at the same
time?
What are the pros and cons between the two methods?

Greg Murdaugh
Piano Craft Inc.