too much "pounding!"

Ron Torrella rontorrella@worldspy.net
Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:40:07 -0400

Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

> Of course, one can always build a "bonker", or Jim Bryant, is it a
> "boinker".  Can't remember which term got me into so much hot water, or
> was it hot grease.   I use mine less now than used to, but it has several
> uses, which merits keeping it handy, IMHO>
> les bartlett

Boinker, schmoinker. I used to use a brass "finger" (tipped with a healthy
piece of leather so as to not harm the keys) until I started getting some
ferocious pain on the top of my pounding arm. The "finger" was rather heavy
which, for the most part, meant I didn't have to exert my
arms/elbows/shoulders while giving the piano a good thrashing. But all of the
pounding in the world won't do a bit of good if hammer technique (a.k.a.
"setting the pins) isn't there. I was pretty non-plussed to watch someone
*gently* muddy up some unisons that I'd just pounded the begeebers out of.
Persistent repetition. Nothing louder than a forte blow. If your unison will
stand up to 6-8 of those stabs (fairly quick succession but not rapid-fire),
chances are Chopin and Listz won't make a quiet, reflective encore sound
wobbly.
--
Ron Torrella, RPT
Ypsilanti, MI