Not another one on buying pianos....

Low Sye Yuan zenyu@singnet.com.sg
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:59:43 +0800

Hi guys,=20

I didn't know that this list allows for the discussion of piano =
purchasing until I saw the previous post. Anyway, I was looking around =
for an upright and have narrowed down the search to 3Bs( C. Bechstein, =
Bluthner, Bosendorfer) and 1S( Sauter). I was told by one dealer to go =
with my feelings and not pay attention to the sales talk, readily =
dispensed by the piano retailers.=20
In particular, I love the Bluthner a lot. It really has a honey-sweet =
tone and is fantastic for the romantic pieces. However, when I played =
baroque or classical pieces on it, it sounded weird. Later, I tried a =
Sauter M-Line series and was truly impressed with the tone. Now, the =
Sauter dealer whom I spoke to had great things to say about Bluthner. =
Ironically, the only thing he found displeasing and pleasing at the same =
time was with the sweet tone( i feel the same too). Sauter has never =
made it to the stage arena, but the sophisticated cabintry and the =
high-grade material they use for the building of the piano is legendary, =
or so he says.
So, you see, I am in some sort of a dilemma here. If I'm buying the =
Bluthner upright, I will pray and hope that my mozarts be better =
sounding in a couple of years.Conversely, if I buy the Sauter, I will be =
praying hard that whatever the anti-Sauter dealers say would not =
manifest on my M-line series.

 Any help, opinionated or not is greatly appreciated.

...Zeng