piano purchase

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:51:29 +0200

Different pianos for different uses and different tastes. About the only
generalities I can make from talking to musicians through the years is that
when sitting right on top of a piano, the Yamaha seems to be what most seem
to like best. For projection tho Steinway is the name. Kawai always seems to
get left out of the picture, tho personally I would compare them much closer
to the Yamaha then to the Steinway. Perhaps a bit fuller bass then Yamaha
but that seems to be less and less apparent as time has passed.

The only other generalization I can draw is that classical musicians seem
more apt to prefer the Steinway and Jazz musicians the Yamaha, tho this
varies quite a bit from place to place it would seem.

If I were to choose it would depend solely on the intended use. If it is a
small hall or room with varied types of music to be played I would choose a
Yamaha C3 hands down. Not so much because of any sound preferences, but
because it delivers very much quality indeed for the money and in the above
circumstances I think you would find few players that would "not like" the
piano. If its a large hall with nice acoustics and the music will be rather
serious in nature for the most part I would lean towards the Steinway. They
have a way of filling up a room like no other.

Grin.. unless you can get ahold of one of those turn of the century
Bluthners in prime condition.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.