pneumatic press for soundboard repairs

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 12:37:23 -0300

-Hi,
I have a low tech, possible repair, for this problem.
I can't remember, where I read, or heard it.
Get some eye-hooks, screw them in sideways, into the side of the piano,close
to the soundboard.
Now get some gyprok screws, put them through the eyes, and screw into the
soundboard. They will pull the board back, and you can put some glue in
with a thin spatila.
When dry, remove the screws, and eye-hooks, and fill the holes with plastic
wood.
Regards,
John M. Ross
P.S. Many thanks to the origionator of this idea, whoever you are.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Sent: April 2, 2000 12:31 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: pneumatic press for soundboard repairs

List,

I have a church with an eleven year old Baldwin vertical.  The soundboard is
coming loose along the top edge near the bass.

I have heard of using a pneumatic press to provide the clamping force
needed.
 I have also talked to a couple of local techs.  One mentioned the name
Clare
Davies.  They said he wrote an article in the Journal about pneumatic
presses
made from fire hose.  He also said I could use an inner-tube wrapped with
duct tape.

Question:  1.  Does anyone have a preferred method for this type of repair,
and approximate time needed to complete.

Question:  2.  Does anyone have the article written by Clare Davies for
details on making the fire hose press.

Mike Bratcher