One Piece Ivory

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 22:47:34 -0900

John,
Do not bet the farm on this one! You could very well lose!
Yes there were one piece ivory key tops made for the more up town crowd.
Joe Goss
----- Original Message -----
From: John Lillico, RPT <staytuned@idirect.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2000 8:33 PM
Subject: One Piece Ivory

> Was there ever such a covering as one piece ivory? I've always seen ivory
as a "head" and a "tail" with a (usually) visible crack. I've always used
this crack to distinguish between ivory and plastic.

> Today, a 75 year old lady tells me her chipped keys on a 1934 Sherlock
Manning are ivory! I say they are plastic because there's no separation
between head and tail. She says her parents bought the piano when she was
nine and, except for a time when she ran away from home at 19 to get
married, says that the keys have NEVER been recovered in plastic.

> Sixty per cent of the overhangs are chipped and she thinks they can be
repaired like teeth. How can I convince her that these tops are plastic? Or
are they?