Pure Tone Strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 12:34:25 -0500

> >That was the basis of my statement.  Steve's conclusion, wire size
> >will not appreciable improve tonal power and a too long speaking
> >length cannot be improved with different sized wire.
>
> Wouldn't that be too *short* a speaking length? I don't think I've seen too
> long in a piano, except in relation to plain/wound breaks.

Too long treble strings, especially the top two octaves produces
too high a breaking percent and there is nothing that can be done
about it except relocate the bridge.  I have seen #88 at 2 5/8".
Believe it or not and there is NO solution except shorten the
speaking length.

> There are people
> out there in the trenches who are interested enough, and dedicated enough
> to lay their OWN time and money on the line in pursuit of answers.

Thank God for people like yourself, Robinson, Del, and many others
contributing small bits and pieces.  Little increments are helpful
and important but to rethink the basic concept of "piano" and make
one is less important to "factories" than making money is.  My
point is that those that have the abilities are not interested,
unfortunately.

>  it's just that there are more swine too.

I know, and most of them drive on the freeways and parkways.
Weren't we talking about ham and sausages the other day?

Good to see you chin, er, chime in.

		Newton