Temperature Change affecting pitch

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 09:58:34 -0500

> I do take RH readings each visit.  The indoor air in our dry summer is
> always higher than the outside RH.  I presume because the AH remains the
> same, cool air has a higher RH.

I usually leave my AC unit off when I am not in the shop. My
DC-humidistat-controlled dehumidifier keeps the RH from exceeding about 62%.
When I am in the shop, I turn on the AC unit and within 15 minutes watch as
the RH DECREASES to around 50%. I use a regular-type AC unit with cooling
coils, etc. Even in the dry winter the un-AC shop will hover around 40% RH,
and when I turn the AC on it will drop to near 30% RH.

I have one thought regarding the performance of the same type AC unit in a
very dry climate. Could it be that the AH on the air passing through the
coils (whether it be from an outside source or recirculated indoor air) is
so low that it never gets to the dew point and hence water is not removed.
In such a case one would see a RH increase as the indoor air temp decreases.
Perhaps this is what is happening.  :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida