21st century tonality

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:57:39 -0600

Ed,
 I like your descriptions.  Now that you have included ET, welcome baaaaack
into the fold.  :)

You mentioned "tonality" being lost.  I have heard references to key color,
and "character of keys".  If I could say what  is color to me in a
temperament or tonality it would be

1 Meantone. 1/4 comma  pure thirds, wonderful to play around in the keys
until you get to Eb.

  2 Pythagorean.
        It cannot be ignored, you do not know what it is about until you
tune it and play in it.
        so little has been written.  Regarded as a "provencial" tuning, or
"primative"   Has         a "wolf" like Meantone has    I do not mean "the
same as".  A basic for studying                 temperaments.

3.  The Equal Beating one.
        I think this is Marpurg I  (as in eye or the letter i )   This is
because of ease of                 tuning. I like when the try to make it
easy for the tuner.

4   Werckmeister.   I wish more of him was translated.   This might be one
of the so called "Wells"  I wish Owen Jorgensen had taken claim for coining
t(his) term. Bon mot!!

5  ET.    Well what can I say.

6.  Hypermodern.  I am leaving this for the digital keyboards.   With
"tunable" midi who knows what might come up.  Perhaps a just intonation for
the keyboard for the first time in history? That will be truely 21st century
tonality. For pianos  there will be endeavors such as  Jim Coleman's  who
has explored the possibility of  pure fifths resulting from stretched
octaves.