Gravy Classical Music Criticism Selection

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:52:01 EST

<< We thought this worth sending.

 "After playing the violin for the cellist Gregor Piatigorsky, Albert
 Einstein asked, "Did I play well?" "You played relatively well,"
 replied Piatigorsky.

 "Harpists spend ninety percent of their lives tuning their harps and
 ten percent playing out of tune." -- Igor Stravinsky

 When told that a soloist would need six fingers to perform his
 concerto, Arnold Schoenberg replied, "I can wait."

 "I would like to hear Elliot Carter's Fourth String Quartet, if only
 to discover what a cranky prostate does to one's polyphony." -- James
 Sellars

 "Exit in case of Brahms." -- Philip Hale's proposed inscription over
 the doors of Boston Symphony Hall

 "Why is it that whenever I hear a piece of music I don't like, it's
 always by Villa-Lobos?" -- Igor Stravinsky

 Someone commented to Rudolph Bing, manager of the Metropolitan Opera,
 that "George Szell is his own worst enemy."  "Not while I'm alive, he
 isn't!" said Bing.

 "Her voice sounded like an eagle being goosed." -- Ralph Novak on Yoko
 Ono

 "Parsifal-the kind of opera that starts at six o'clock and after it
 has been going three hours, you look at your watch and it says 6:20."
 -- David Randolph

 "One can't judge Wagner's opera Lohengrin after a first hearing, and
 I certainly don't intend hearing it a second time." -- Gioacchino
 Rossini

 "I liked the opera very much. Everything but the music." -- Benjamin
 Britten on Stravinsky's The Rakes's Progress >>

An embedded message was scrubbed...