Bird calls

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:41:33 EST

There is a cell phone tower behind my shop....... the only thing between the
tower and my shop is a small parking lot about 60 feet wide.   I really
fussed about the darned thing going there but this thread makes me remember
that strange things come from things we do not care for...sometimes!! :-)
 This is one of those ocassions as near the top of the tower, about 80 feet
high, there is a wire mesh platfom for walking while working on the antennaes
arrayed around the thingee. On this platform a family of Red Tailed hawks
have built a nest and apparently have some younguns up there. Every day for
the past week or so I have seen the parent birds flying to the nest with
various and sundry creatures, snakes, fish, etc.  Beautiful sight to see a
hawk flying with a fish with the fish turned long ways so that it doesn't
offer too much wind resistance I suppose?  Very diligent and proud parents as
well as tremendous fliers.  There is a large population of mourning dove
around my shop but as yet I haven't seen any of them taken as prey. I can
tell the difference in the two parents by their calls as one is pitched
higher, kinda like G and G#, than the other but I can't tell which is which
vis a vis male/female.
Jim Bryant (FL)