A440 and the tuning exam (was A440=Fork)

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:04:13 -0500 (CDT)

At 06:21 AM 10/29/99 -0500, you wrote:

>However, when it comes to scoring the rest of piano, there _is_ a
>correction made for the overall pitch level. Therefore, a perfect
>temperament as described above with that one cent "error" in every note
>will still score as a perfect temperament.

Hi Kent,

Thanks for your informative reply. I guess I got it wrong. I was under the
impression that the "correction made for the overall pitch level" mentioned
was the PCN which I thought had been eliminated. If that were so, then the
temperment would be off by one cent when scored against the master tuning
resulting in points lost for each note in the temperment. Your explanation
sounds very reasonable.

>This is a bit complex. Surely others here will explain this as well and
>make sure it is all understood.

I'll listen attentively to Virgil next month. 8-).

Thanks again.

Terry Beckingham