Tuning forks

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:48:35 -0600

Thanks for all your input.  I'm still not sure about whether I want to rely
on a fork for the exam, but some of you have led me to believe that if I
can match my fork, I should do fine.  (BTW, I always use the plate to
acclimate the fork, unless the room is way hot, or way cold.  I don't,
won't, because I can't, tune in a cold room anyway)

The situation I work in doesn't require me to set the A within the
parameters the exam requires.  Most everyone around here realizes that the
climate roller coaster here doesn't allow for that kind of accuracy to be
maintained.  They're not physicists here, they're musicians and teachers.
I match the fork for performance pianos and everyone's happy.  But I would
like to attempt the test for my satisfaction, and I don't want to have to
do it twice because a tuning fork manufacturer of 150 years doesn't agree
with whichever EDT, at whatever calibration, you're comparing it to at the
time.

Thanks again for your patience and your inputs on what is probably the most
worn out subject there is.

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina