damp chaser

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:33:41 -0500

>Do any of you have experience with Damp Chasers in choral rehearsal rooms
>that are terribly small, without particularly good ventilation?   I was
>visiting a small local college to attend a Chorale rehearsal, and noted
>the Steinway D was in horrible shape, with strings very rusted, and
>tuning a mess.
>
>My guess is that radical shifts in humidity on a daily basis may account
>for a fair amount of this.   I'd like to hear if experienced folks think
>that Damp Chaser might be the solution to the trouble, and if, perhaps,
>more than the average number of heating rods might be necessary because
>of the very quickly changing conditions.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts
>les bartlett
>houston

Les,

I don't have a lot of experience as a college technician.  But I do remember
the days of being a music school student.  You're in Houston (Muggy, Salty,
Shipping Port near Galveston), so I imagine that a Damp Chaser system may be
a necessity.  BTW, don't forget Student Abuse of the piano, including
spilled Coke cans.  I'd look for tell-tale stains on the soundboard and
plate that may indicate spillage.  No Damp-Chaser can ever deter student
stupidity and cola cans.

Good luck,
Brian Henselman