Tuning forks

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:36:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/28/1999 6:49:35 PM, Susan wrote:

<<"It seems to me that we are talking about two things: the change in pitch
from the fork temperature, and the change in pitch as the piano warms and
cools.">>

 Well yes we are but................. then again they are dependent on each
other. The piano is dependant on the fork for initial pitch setting and the
fork is dependant on the piano for staying there :-(  as they 'both' move up
and down when they are being used, and along with other conditions,  neither
will be constants.......this must be kept in mind. What we are really
shooting for is the happy medium which sounds the best in the most
circumstances in relation to 'all' of the surrounding instruments and sounds
bad in none.

  Pitch is important, nay some would say paramount, without a doubt.......
but a bad unison will cause more complaints  from audience and players alike
than would an A set at 439.7 0r 440.3. :-(

<<"if yo pedal don make a scrawwwwww racket; ">>
 Maam a suthrin genleman don have no pedals going "scrawwww" our pedals go
screeeeeech !!

Remember this 'tuning' trade is more art than science, though understanding
the science helps us 'all' be better artists :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)