Tuning forks

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:42:31 -0700

Hi, Jim! Comments interspersed.

><<>Whatever did we do before the SAT?
>Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician,<>>
><<"I don't know, but whatever it is, I'm still doing it.
>Susan">>
>
>Jeff;
>I agree with Susan here :-)

Thanks!

><snip> ......it might not be exactly ON
>but................................ more than likely close enough to pass the
>pitch at 100 and certainly close enough for most daily tunings......concert
>work is a different matter, with different, and differing, matters to
>consider :-(
>My view.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim, can you enlarge on this? With the test, we're talking about precision
to roughly <grin> 1 cent, more or less. If there's any reason why a piano
tuned for a concert needs to be any closer than that, I would be interested
to find out what it is! In my experience, the orchestra has pitch
variations large enough to drive a truck through, even when their
intonation is relatively good.

Or did you just mean that there are more important things than precision in
setting the A? Such as voicing, noise abatement, octave stretch, not
alarming the artists, making stuff work ("all the klunkers klunk", as
Horace once put it), getting done on time, having a tuning last past
Liszt's Harmonies du Soir, etc.

Regards,

Susan