soundboard press

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:49:12 -0400

Roger,

Thanks for the kind note.  I'm independent, but not wealthy.

I have a Masters in Aerospace Engineering, and when I finished my obligation
to Uncle Sam as a Naval Aviator, I got out and ultimately started a
consulting and engineering company that built all sorts of weird aviation
related parts, mostly from composite and wood/composite materials.  For fun
I started building R/C sailplanes, and that hobby also became a business.
Another hobby is windsurfing, and although I have built some gear, it has
stayed a hobby.  Music and pianos have been a life long interest/avocation,
and when I sold and got out of the aerospace business I took up piano
restoration and tuning as something to keep me busy while my wife teaches.
She has her own piano studio and teaches full time.  To make a long story
short, the piano business just grew by itself, and now I find myself working
10 to 12 hour days 7 days a week doing piano related things, and I'm
considering branching out into construction of harpsichords and related
historical instruments.  Oh, did I mention that my son runs the piano moving
end of the business?  We're not making lots of money, but we're keeping our
heads above water and manage to enjoy what we're doing.

Hope this explains where all the strange ideas come from.

As far as the Stieff goes, Scranton is a little far, and a player would be
last choice.  I have some lines on other pianos I'll check first, but thanks
for the information.

Regards,

Frank Weston