Old Steinway upright - new yamaha dampers?

Mark Dierauf mdierauf@mediaone.net
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:29:34 -0400

  Has anyone ever retrofitted old Steinway upright dampers with the =
Yamaha U-1 or U-3 damper head assemblies available through Schaff? I =
have a job coming up where I'll be installing new Tokiwa damper-levers =
and I'm wondering if it would make sense to go with the Yamaha blocks to =
save on wire bending, get better damping, or both. Do the Yamaha-style =
overdampers work on the Steinway (model "K")? I also understand that =
these are supplied *without* the dowel damper blocks, and that the ones =
available through Schaff are problematic. Anyone had any experiences?

- Mark