New subject, new twist

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:14:46 -0500

harvey wrote:

> Another university unit, another Kohler & Campbell, except this is a new
> one, and the only thing Kohler & Campbell about it is the name on the
> fallboard.
>
> The questions are:
> 1. Is this a Samick? If not, it sure missed a good chance.

Yes it is.

> 2. Does Samick return phone calls?

Usually, but it may take a day or two.  I used to talk to Dean Garten
periodically when I worked for a dealer that sold them.  He never said so of
course but I could tell from his voice that he was as frustrated with the
things as I was.  (I say this tongue in cheek since he no longer works there).

> 3. One of the stamped metal damper rod hanger BRACKETS is broken in half.
> It's a very clean break, complete with a nice 45-degree angle at the shear
> point. If #2 question doesn't work out, does this bracket sound like a
> candidate for silver soldering? If not, what are my options? What do I use
> to align the pieces while joining?

I would just order the parts.

> Obviously, a replacement part, or six (since it's going to happen again),
> would be faster and superior, but failing that, I need to put this piano
> back into service quickly.

As a temporary fix, (since you plan on replacing all of them anyway), might be
to remove one good one from an area in the bar that seems like it could handle
the stress without it, (a rather nonsensical thought but I'm sure you know
what I mean), and then use that bracked to replace the one that is broken.
When the new parts arive you can replace the whole set.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV