stats

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:45:50 -0700

Pat Neely wrote:

> I had a lady just call me and she moved here from San Diego , last tuning
> about 2 years ago in that area she said it was $45.

These reports of what a tuner charged last time are suspect and if they
had it tuned somewhere far away, it will have been even cheaper because
how are you going to know?

I've had regular customers declare, after being presented with the bill,
that my rates have gone up. They back down when I show them their
service record on my laptop, but it reveals to me how people tend to
have penurious recall at these times.

When people tell me they were paying xx dollars where they just came
from, whether or not they are sincere, I reply in a weary but patient
tone of voice, "That was there and you are here, now, where the cost of
living is much higher. If price is your main consideration, then you may
find lower prices if you call around."

They may try their luck elsewhere, which is fine. I'd rather have
customers who are looking for _value_ and are willing to pay for it.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA