VJLUBE

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:44:35 -0400

I went to a recital by Garrick Ohlson at his teacher's studio.  The
soft pedal groaned loud enough to put the cat's teeth on edge.  At the
intermission Garrick asked me if I could look at the situation.  The
only tools I had were my brain and my key ring _Proto_ "Professional"
screwdriver.  I determined that the problem was the front rail so I
asked if the teacher had any Vaseline.  I used a paper towel and wiped
the thinnest amount I could on the underside of the front rail and put
a tiny bit on the frame end guide pins.  Problem solved, recital goes
on to wonderful conclusion BUT I dislike using Vaseline in such a
place.  VJ Lube would have been better.

One other time, at New York University auditorium, the soft pedal
squeaked horribly.  After the first piece I went and found that S&S
had used rubber upright lid prop end pieces for pedal socket liners.
Bad move on their part because the pedal rod had worn through the
rubber and I had brass rubbing on brass.  WIthout tools or supplies I
sacrificed my old, soft and wonderful handkerchief to make an
emergency repair by tearing off a corner (using pocket knife), multi
folded and forced into the pedal socket by the pedal rod.  It lasted
until I could get the proper leather and rubber piece to replace ALL
the rubber prop junk.  I don't think VJ would have lasted through the
concert in this case but it would have helped lubricate the cloth and
make the repair go quicker.

It is amazing what one can do with pocket items.

Proper solution to the S&S problem is a 1/2" leather punching and a
piece of 1/4" ID gasoline line.

Sorry to take up your time but blame Susan for it.

		Newton