Key End Felt

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 09:29:00 -0500

Hi Jim,

   Correct on all counts. As usual. :-) I just wasn't thinking and went
to the Howard listing instead of the Kawai listing in Pierce.
   BTW, after reading the posts on the subject, I've decided "not" to
change the felts I originally asked about. There isn't much money
involved in this particular job and I don't want to take a chance on it
"eating my lunch". I'm sure you all understand what I mean. :-)
   Thanks for the posts.

Avery

>I think not. If it is a Kawai Howard with that serial number, then the
>Kawai numbers puts the age at 1966. This also agrees with the damper
>arrangement you're describing at that time.
>
>There should be other identifiers of a Kawai, such as the doughnut shape
>balancier support, screw adjustable repetition lever, perhaps a
>spring-assisted wippen flange, and so on.
>
>Kawai's of the 60~70's era had model numbers like 350, 500, 600, etc. I'm
>not real sure, but don't recall an "in-house" number of 550. That number
>may have been reserved for the Howards to differentiate the product. If
>that's the case, it should be a 6' grand.
>
>Notice how I've carefully side-stepped the main subject of changing the
>felt? <G>
>
>Jim Harvey, RPT
>

>At 01:47 PM 10/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Was Kawai really building Howards in 1930?  Sounds way too early.
> >
> >-Brian Henselman

mailto:atodd@uh.edu - Work

mailto:avery@ev1.net - Home

Avery Todd, RPT