Damper Flanges?

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:36:40 -0600

Hi John,
To hold the damper flange in place try using a screwdriver flat blade =
beside the flange the thickness that is close to the desired pisotion.
Joe Goss
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Roger Jolly=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, October 23, 1999 8:10 AM
  Subject: Re: Damper Flanges?

  At 09:44 PM 21/10/99 -0600, you wrote:=20

    Hi John,
                 I've run into the same problem.
    Here is how I solved the problem.

    Take off the top damper and remove the flange. Use as a template.
    Take the new flange and mark the forward position of the slot to =
coincide with the sample.
    Use a Japanese pull saw to make a cut in the required position.
    Chip out the excess wood.
    You may have to shorten the overall length of the flange on a disc =
sander. (a probability)
    secondly you may have to elongate the flange screw hole.(another =
probability)
    When reinstalling the flange, it will want to twist since the slot =
is there to hold it in position, so apply some pressure to evenly push =
the flange back into the action when tightening the flange screw.
    Make good and sure that the lever is square with the ones beside it, =
and has not twisted.
    When you can not get matching replacement parts, you are between a =
rock and a hard place so improvise.
    Regards Roger

    At 10:30 PM 21/10/99 -0300, you wrote:=20

      Hi List,
      For the full size upright, I can only find one size of flange.
      The centre pin holes are too far from the rail, and the damper =
stands out.
      What can be done to put the dampers on the same plane.
      I can bend the head to fit, but then when the pedal is used, it =
comes off uneven.
      I could use a thicker cloth on the damper lever.
      I guess what I really want to know, is, is there a source for =
other size flanges, or are we stuck with one size?
      I didn't have the chance to repair the old flange, these are a few =
that have been replaced previously.
      Has anyone tried redrilling and rebushing a new position for the =
pin?
      Regards,
      John M. Ross
      Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.