Tied bass string, will it break?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:58:10 -0400

Mr. Temerariousnot (Good grief where do you find these words?!) <G>,

You won't know if this string will tear again until you try it, which of course you have to do
and for which you need a good dose of temerariousness.  You can't leave it a quarter-step
flat.  If it tears, have one of those universal replacement strings handy (I keep a whole set
on hand although I don't like them very much), or, if the piano is worth it, send the old
string to a supplier to be duplicated.

I am remembering two things from my vast storehouse of experience (pooh!).  Once while tuning a
string a previous technician had knotted, it tore -- at the knot.  I replaced the string.  In
another instance I was trying to tune a piano from about 1860.  The plain wire was so brittle
that as soon as I tried to make a becket each little piece just broke right off.  Since the
piano wasn't worth saving they made a cozy little bonfire with it -- outside, of course!

Clyde Hollinger